Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Floor sagging around Chimney/Fireplace 110 yr old house

Old 10-22-19, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Looking at levelling the floor out around the fireplace/chimney

with most houses around this age, the chimney is not attached to the framing, but as the ground has settled over the decades, its taken down the surrounding piles down with it, so the joists and everything above that has been affected aswell. walls, roof etc.

Its about 2-3 inches overall. all around it, so it's affecting the living room at the front of it, the bedroom behind it and the hallway to it's right that is leading to both rooms.

it doesn't seem much, but over a distance it is obvious.

Now, I've been involved in similar jobs before, once worked for a house repiling company as a labour when i was younger, just need some advice.

Should it be lifted around it at the same time? e.g support beams, jacks placed around the entire and lifted evenly at increments over a period of, say a week.?

or a side at a time?

included a crude drawing to give you a better idea what im working with.

cheers

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-19, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
You will probably need footers. Then jack up the sagging floors/beams. I would do the jacking slowly over time to let the wood and house adjust. When doing the jacking make sure to install solid blocking after each jacking session as most hydraulic bottle jacks will slowly bleed down over time.