Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Adding a wall and door to an open concept bedroom

Old 10-26-19, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So my entire upstairs is one big master bedroom. At the top of the stairs there is no door. You are in my bedroom once you climb the stairs. I want to add a wall with an antique 32 X 80 inch stained glass door I have dragged around for years. I finally have a use for it !! It's a heavy solid core door. The current opening is 44 1/4" X 95". The question is,, I'm not sure how to secure the top plate of the door frame to the sloped drywall ceiling. I don't think the slope will be a problem. From what I have read I have to use toggle bolts to secure the top part of the 2X4 frame to the ceiling. I am wondering if this is correct ? The right side will be attached to an existing corner so I am assuming there will be a stud there behind the drywall and the left side will be attached to a stud. Plus it will be screwed to the floor. Any advice on how best to attach the top plate to a finished drywall ceiling ? Sorry the picture is sideways.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-19, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 209 Posts
Yes, for such a short top plate some construction adhesive and a couple toggle bolts will hold it until the glue sets up. That assumes there is nothing to screw it to on each end. Try using some 3" torx screws on the ends and if there's no framing there then use the toggles. You will probably want 4 1/2" long screws with your toggles.