Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Upper level floor framing for balcony inset over living space..

Old 12-19-19, 03:45 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone..

I’m designing my retirement home in Iowa and want to showcase the mile long views from a small second story “inset” balcony. I considered a flat roof and terrace, but decided the balcony would see less water if under the main roof and no stairs to the roof.

Ive been told the balcony floor should be lower than the inside floor by enough to allow 3" of tapered exterior insulation and another layer of sheathing, Plus be 7" lower than the door threshold to keep snow/rain from getting inside..

Now this seems a little over kill since the balcony door will be 5' back from the gutter edge. But better than getting water inside, and exterior insulation is good insurance I wont have any condensation issues in the ceiling and can easily get R50.

So my question is, how should I build this second story floor system? Initially I wanted to clear span 30' with 16" TJI's, but now it looks like I need to stack 2x10's on top of the TJI's to raise the entire inside floor system? Or build the balcony floor separate from the inside upper level floor, with a additional beam at the height I need?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-19, 03:19 PM
G
No one? This need for a elevated deck has me wondering about a flat roof, for a minute..

Old 12-26-19, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Well, we can't really design your house for you, so im not even sure what to say. A lot of houses nowadays implement 2x4 floor trusses (google it) which are quite strong, and are usually pretty tall. They work great for running duct work and plumbing to virtually any part of the home. If you were using those for the main part of the floor (and let's say they were 20" tall) it would be conceivable that you might be able to cantilever a standard 2x10 out 5 feet if it was positioned along the bottom of those 2x4 floor trusses and if they were engineered for it with the right on center spacing for the cantilever section... such as 16" on center rather than 19.2 or 24... (In order to do a cantilever the 2x10s would need to extend into the house at least 10'.) If this balcony will be supported it gets much easier.

But this is the sort of thing you probably need a structural engineer to design. It's not really a service we can provide sight unseen, for no charge.

Old 12-27-19, 02:27 AM
G
Thanks XSleeper, but I never mentioned cantilevering a balcony out from the house. I said "inset", or something like this picture.. But same question. Build up the inside floor on full span engineered trusses or TJI's? Or build two smaller flooring systems at different levels?

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-19, 04:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
My answer would be exactly the same minus the cantilever. Less engineering involved.