Garage roof need reinforcements?

Old 02-20-20, 06:04 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage roof need reinforcements?

Hey so let me start off by saying Iím a noob at structures and Iím hoping someone can help. I purchased a house with an attached garage 2 yrs ago and started making it my own. Now Iím looking to leave the ceiling open and insulate and Sheetrock everything but Iíve been told by a friend that the garage doesnít have the structural reinforcement to support additional load. And on top of that the beams? (Long ones that run side to side) are bowed and one is cracked and had a crappy repair job done to it. Also it seems as this garage has been added on to. Hereís older pictures when I first moved in that shows some of the ceiling. Hopefully these pictures help. my question is what needs to be done to support the side walls if itís actually needed?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-20, 06:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 353 Votes on 324 Posts
You didn't say where you are located so we can't say if the roof is good enough for the snow loads in your area.

The rafter ties are just there to prevent the roof rafters from pushing the walls apart. If you want to sheetrock the garage you'll need to install more, likely on 16" spacing to support sheetrock.

Old 02-21-20, 08:59 AM
Received 189 Votes on 176 Posts
Iím looking to leave the ceiling open and insulate and Sheetrock everything but Iíve been told by a friend that the garage doesnít have the structural reinforcement to support additional load
And your referring to the additional load being the drywall that is added to the walls?

If your walls are built with studs on 16" centers there should be no issues with the additional weight of the drywall.

Old 02-21-20, 06:36 PM
S
Iím from New Jersey so we do get snow but not all that much. And yes Iím looking to drywall the roof and the side walls.

Old 02-21-20, 07:13 PM
S
Let me be more clear on my plan. I would like to insulate and Sheetrock the side walls as well as the roof. Not the rafter ties, the actual roof. Is this possible the way it is ?

Old 02-21-20, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 309 Posts
I have worked on one house that basically did something similar to what you are wanting to do. The rafter ties in that case were 4ft on center and tripled, then decoratively bolted together with square bolts, left exposed. The engineer required Simpson plates to tie every rafter to the top plate, and the rafter ties were double bolted through the rafters on each side. And this worked because the place was maybe 20' wide max.

With no info about the size of lumber, span of rafters, width of garage (length of rafter ties) it's pretty hard for us to say what would work. That's the sort of info someone (engineer or architect) on site could give you. Any armchair quarterback could say "heck yeah, it's all good".

Old 02-22-20, 02:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
An issue with drywalling directly to the rafters is the lack of ventilation.