Concrete garage floor fix

Old 05-10-20, 07:52 AM
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Concrete garage floor fix

Talk to 5 contractors, get 5 different ideas. My 60's house that I bought and refurbing has a 2 car garage, abt 700ft2, with raised footing all around. I have one small back corner area that raised up and cracked abt 6 in... easy fix. The middle is noticeably raised from the rest of the floor, but not terribly so, and has a few cracks. Another corner is abt 4" lower than the enter of the floor, slowly sloping to it. One gar door opening is actually fine, but the other is cracked behind the entrance and slopes from the middle to the far side abt 2".
The contractors range from $2500 to $10k. I'm thinking of renting a concrete saw and cutting the bad areas into sections, jack, fill and pour those separately to level things better. I really don't want to raise the entire floor 2-3" like some want to do. If I can build up everything close and pour a thin layer I can live with that, and maybe even use a vinyl floor covering over the entire garage.
Is is silly to think I can put a thin coat down without cracking? No products on the market for that?
Do I just need to suck it up and pour a raised floor over the entire garage? Then I need to take the new garage door installation down and reinstall it higher.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-20, 10:43 AM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
I am also looking at a damaged garage slab. Mine is after a fire. Like you I had 4 or 5 guys look at it and I got 4 or 5 different answers. One thing everyone agreed on is that a thin topcoat is not the fix. It wont last. We are going with a 2" topping mix.

Old 05-10-20, 12:15 PM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
And I would consider 2" to be a pretty thin pour also.

Problem is with all those slab sections, new and old, any movement and whatever you have on top will crack.

The right fix is to replace, anything else is going to most likely come back to bite you!

Old 05-10-20, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Had a slab that slopped down. Put up with it for many years finally heard of concrete jacking. Had several different estimates that ranged from 600$ too 4000$ went with the cheapest and like him the best.Carport came up to level and never had a problem.

Old 05-10-20, 02:10 PM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
The 2" is a topping mix over a 4" slab. The existing slab has a couple of minor cracks and several shallow dinner plate sized cratered areas where the concrete burned. The topping mix has bonding additives and the slab will be cleaned and scarified before the topping mix is poured. The concrete guy doing the job is local and has been in business for nearly 30 years. He says that it is the right fix so I'll believe him.