Is this attic safe to use for storage?

Old 06-01-20, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this attic safe to use for storage?

I have another post created asking this that Marq1 posted in but for some reason it isn't letting me add pictures or reply to it so i created a new one. If there is a moderator that could delete the old one since for some reason I cant reply to it that would be great!

This is my attic space, I wanted to know if this would be okay for storage or if my beams are too small. I have some boxes I consider heavy, maybe like 80 pounds, and a lot of other lighter ones I would like to put 3/4 OSB down and put the boxes on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-20, 11:01 PM
J
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
There are no beams, there trusses, not built to be top loaded.
Only right way to make it load bearing is to add full length wider 2 X 8's.
Why is there 0 insulation in the attic!
Those small a gables are not even close to enough venting for the attic, it should have had a ridge vent!

Old 06-02-20, 02:02 AM
Hi joecaption, thank you for replying. There is no insulation because this is right above my garage. if I turned around in the picture, the part above the living portion of the house, you would see insulation. And I do not know what type of ventilation type it is called but I believe it has vents on both sides that run along the whole way. If I go up there during the day you can see the sides illuminated.

Old 06-02-20, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
I agree with Joe. You have engineered trusses and they are normally designed to only carry the weight of the sheetrock on their bottom horizontal chord and especially since they are on 24" centers. For storage you would need to add framing to span the entire distance from exterior load bearing wall to exterior load bearing wall.

Old 06-02-20, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Typically Fink trusses are only designed for "limited storage" of 10 lbs per sq ft, if it is evenly distributed. That means light storage only with no concentrated loads. So lets say you put some 1/2" plywood up there to walk on and store things on. 1/2" plywood is 32 sq ft and 40 lbs. You just put 1.25 lbs per sq ft up there, and now you have reduced the amount that you can safely store to 8.75 lbs per sq foot.

While the original mfg is the only one who can say what their design limit is, here is a similar truss with the stated BCLL. (Bottom chord live load) top image.

So think Christmas decorations. Not boxes of books. And while you are up there, you are part of that live load, and you are NOT an evenly distributed load.

Old 06-03-20, 12:39 AM
I am glad I talked to you guys before putting anything up there. It sounds like this would be a bad idea with the way it is built.

Is this a lost cause or can this be converted to work for storage? My understanding now is it is the metal trusses that are my limitation. Can these be replaced or added onto to make it usable?

Old 06-03-20, 03:48 AM
Received 275 Votes on 256 Posts
It sounds like this would be a bad idea with the way it is built.
Not really, a typ 20x20 garage at the 10# per sq ft (which I did not know for a non floor truss) would eqaul 4000#.

I have always used attic space in prior homes for car part storage (no engine blocks), sometimes to my amazement when I moved how much crap I had up there. Again, discression is the key!

4000# is a big car!

Old 06-03-20, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
"Can these be replaced or added onto to make it usable?"
Read post #4 where I briefly described a way to make it useful for storage. I can't get more specific without knowing how long the span will be and how much you want to store.

"...is the metal trusses that are my limitation."
You have wood trusses according to your picture.