Beam replacement

Old 01-04-21, 06:19 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beam replacement

I have an upside down beam in my garage attic, house built in mid 70s. The ceiling had sagged about 4 inches in the center and I want to replace this beam with a new beam but on the underside of the ceiling joists. Can I simply put a new beam underneath and raise it to level out the ceiling joists? Ideas?

Old 01-04-21, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
If the ceiling is drywalled, you would want to cut a section of drywall out (snap a chalk line) so that the beam is contacting the ceiling joists. Then you would likely want to raise it slowly, maybe using adjustable post columns. Raise it just a little every day until you have it straight again. Jacking it all at once can pull out fasteners and crack the ceiling.

Be sure it is sized correctly for your span.

Old 01-05-21, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
What is an upside down beam?

Adding a beam requires a bit of engineering. Make sure you are capable of properly sizing and supporting the beam. Just putting up a beam likely is not a good idea as that load has to be transferred all the way down into the soil. This often requires columns and footers.

Old 01-05-21, 01:12 PM
D
Upside down beam is where the beam is above the joists, in the attic in this case.

Old 01-05-21, 05:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I have never seen that in normal residential construction which means many probably don't know how to do it properly. Since you are having a massive sagging issue I would start by looking at that beam and the joist connections to it.

Old 01-10-21, 04:14 PM
D
Since the attic roof joists going straight to the walls for support and nothing down to the ceiling joists, curious if I can put a new beam of same size as the old upside down beam on the underside to push the joists back up to level and disconnect the old beam from the side walls?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: