Framing a new door in low ceilings

Old 01-13-21, 01:39 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Framing a new door in low ceilings

The picture is from a 10 ft by 10 ft room added to my 2 story home. Home was built in 1987. My contractor bailed on the job and left me with the mess. You are looking at an exterior wall and through that wall is my living room. I need a 32" x 80" door framed in that space preferably all the way left on the wall.. The trick for me is the ceiling joists that you see are only 7ft. How can I frame the header if the joists are set to 7ft ceilings? This was an exterior wall on my home, so it is load bearing I think.

Also, the doggie will be taken care of... her door is being moved.

Thank you ahead of time!

Old 01-13-21, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
You would put the header against the top plate as usual, cut the ceiling joists back and put them in joist hangers that are nailed to the header. Bottom of your header should be about 82 1/2" high as measured from the bottom edge of your bottom wall plate.

The stud left of the pet door can be your king stud that your header fastens to on the left... measure 37" to the right from the right side of left king stud, and that is where the left side of your other king stud should be. Your header will be 37" long and fit between them. After the header is in, add a 2x4 jack stud under each side of the header. Rough opening will be 34 x 82 1/2".

Old 01-13-21, 08:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awesome. I was hoping hangers would work.

Old 01-14-21, 07:50 AM
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Looks like a water leakage problem in the upper left corner. Resolved?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: