Adding a large opening to garage wall

Old 03-01-21, 11:24 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a large opening to garage wall

I have a pretty typical 2 car garage that is exactly 20 feet deep with gable roof. The trusses run perpendicular to the front and rear walls. There is a 20 foot wide door and there are two 2x12s or maybe even slightly bigger above that door supporting the roof at the front. Anyways, I plan on getting a truck that is just over 20' long so I wanted to bump out the rear wall a few feet. I figure I need to cut an opening about 9-10 feet wide and maybe 5 feet tall just so the front of the truck can fit in there (it doesn't need to go up to roof level). Since that will require cutting down about 6-7 studs supporting that back well, what thickness of horizontal beam will I need to put in that opening to support the roof in that 9-10' span I removed?

Old 03-01-21, 11:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
Look online at header span tables. They will tell you what size you need. Make sure you are looking at the correct tables as there are many of them depending on what it's supporting and what kind of wood is being used.

Old 03-01-21, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
The trusses run perpendicular to the front and rear walls.
So the front and rear walls are the load bearing walls and the left and/or right walls (as viewed from the front) are the gable walls?

Old 03-02-21, 07:40 AM
V
Correct. Front and rear walls are load bearing. I found a couple of tables and just briefly looking, it sounds like either 2 2x10's or 2x12's. The 2x12's should be more than enough.

Old 03-02-21, 08:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
I would recommend going with a larger opening than is actually needed. You don't want to make parking be too fussy.

Will you be able to open the hood with the nose of the vehicle tucked up into a bump out? Sorta bad if the battery dies or some other problem while the truck is parked in there. You'd have to pull the truck back just to open the hood.

Old 03-02-21, 10:51 AM
V
That is a great point. With one vehicle now, it pretty much goes to the back wall so I can't walk in front of it but at least would have room to get to the battery on the side. I will make sure to make the bump out a little wider to at least be able to get on the sides of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: