Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

High humidity and damp carpet in room build on concrete slab

Old 09-18-22, 06:24 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a house from the 1940s that has a den on a concrete slab. Iím having issues where the room smells despite carpet cleaning, odor sprays, etc and the carpet feels damp often. Also having humidity issues where Iím pulling 3-4 gallons a day out of this room even though itís on the first level of my house, not the basement.

Today I pulled up the carpet and got it out of there. The edges of the carpet stunk but nothing else really does. I cut 3 holes in the floor and from what I can tell they have tar paper over the concrete slab, normal insulation then tar paper again between the subfloor and insulation, then carpet padding and lastly carpet. I feel like I likely canít put carpet back in this room, but where do I go from here? I want to fix the underlying issues.

Old 09-18-22, 06:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
Tape a piece of plastic down over the slab and come back in a day or two. If there is water under the plastic, it came up from the ground and you know what issue you are facing.

Old 09-18-22, 07:32 PM
R
This is a good idea. I just taped some down.

Old 09-18-22, 10:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,578 Likes on 1,414 Posts
My guess is you need to demo everything down to the concrete. After it's clean, apply a sealer to the concrete that will act as a vapor barrier and if you want the insulated floor, rebuild with sheets of high density foam, sleepers and new subfloor. My guess is the odor is coming from the damp building materials.

Old 09-19-22, 03:50 AM
R
XSleeper Thats what Iíve been thinking as well. Iíve looked up instructions on how to insulate a basement floor and this seems to be the way to go. The thing I donít understand is why doesnít the floor and insulation stink? My other concern is that is this going to be isolated to the floor or will I have to gut the walls too.

Old 09-23-22, 07:19 PM
R
stickshift i had plastic taped over the holes all week and no moisture. Now Iím at a total loss haha. Not really sure where to go from here.

Old 09-23-22, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe you are getting a lot of air infiltrating under the wall bottom plates.

Old 09-24-22, 05:30 PM
R
XSleeper I put a camera down on the garage side and this is what Iím seeing. For one it seems odd that thereís not any insulation. Wouldnít the hot meeting the cold cause issues? I would like to pull the floor out but Iím worried the flooring has asbestos in it.

https://imgur.com/a/TEIAmFZ

Old 09-24-22, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
It might, that area should have been insulated like a rim joist would be insulated nowadays... but its an old house and it's been that way for a looooooong time, so problems would have arisen from that long ago.

Yeah the floor in your photo could contain asbestos. That electrical wire (romex) in your video is not kosher either, being sandwiched under the subfloor like that. Doubtful that it's protected with no nail plates. Be careful you don't cut into it if you do any demo in the future. Not surprising to run into hillbilly construction from long ago when there were no rules. Always unfortunate to not know who to thank for things like this.

Another possible source of odor is dead mice or other small vermin. Or maybe not even dead, but urinating in your house. Hard to know what the odor is. No way for us to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: