Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

This could be a pipe dream... opening up a very large portion of 2nd story floor

This could be a pipe dream... opening up a very large portion of 2nd story floor

Old 11-21-22, 05:10 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try and keep this brief, and not looking for a full study or anything. It's just something I've been looking to do and I think it's feasible but I could be completely wrong. (wouldn't be the first or last time)

I have a 2 car 2 story garage. First story is cinder block walls and 12' high to the joists for the second floor. Down the middle of the garage is a structural steel beam, with roughly 12' long 2x10 joists on 16" centers spanning between the wall and beam.

Now here is my plan, to allow me to utilize a full rise car lift and where you can tell me if I'm stupid or not.

From the concrete wall side, come in roughly 24-30" and cut roughly 13 to 14 joists. Join these to a 3 or 4 ply 2x10 (this would be running parallel to the wall/center support beam). The existing joists that this would tie into would also be doubled or tripled. This would effectively open a hole in the floor about 18' long and 8' wide, with one side being directly over existing support beam. On the edge of this opening, I would frame it like a wall and rise about 36" all the way around, span it with 2 x 8's or 2 x 10's, fully enclose this and basically make it a large layout/work table.

End game is to get rid of my similar sized large layout table upstairs in garage, while giving myself 15-16' of ceiling height in one bay of my garage for a full sized car lift (which is actually already installed... bit of a carriage before the horse)

Am I totally batsh!t crazy or is this feasible, and if it's feasible, anybody know where I can get started on it in MD?

Old 11-21-22, 06:49 PM
C
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
On a single story building you would have to be concerned with counteracting the tendency for the roof loads to push the walls out, but since you have two stories I assume there are ceiling joists on the second floor to handle that. Or a structural ridge. So at first blush it seems the joists you plan to cut are only supporting loads on the second floor. Still, the stub walls you plan will be a fair amount of load, and second story floors have to be designed to support dead and live loads specified in the building codes, regardless of what *you* plan to put up there. I don't think it is an absurd idea, but no way I would do it without having an engineer design the modifications.

Old 11-21-22, 11:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Step one is to consult an engineer.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: