Reinforce Rotted Joists

Old 06-03-24, 01:25 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Reinforce Rotted Joists

What would your next step be to reinforce these dimensional lumber joists that have experienced decades of a leaky shower?

The span is about 14', to the right is a bedroom that I was hoping to not pull up the floor. The joists appear to be about 3x8" and go into the pocket on the left. Below this is a porch with a stucco ceiling, again, which I'm hoping to not replace. The closest two are actually remarkably solid still despite how they look.

My initial thought is to sandwich them between new 2x8s, ripped down a bit if needed. Carriage bolted on the right side by reaching under the floor. Then either bolting the left side to the still-solid wood. Or expanding the pocket and supporting it there.

Possible? Or am I putting a bandaid on something that needs a whole lot more. Suggestions?

Old 06-03-24, 02:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Is there a load bearing wall below? If there is a load bearing wall your sistered joists only need extend far enough to rest on the supporting wall.

If there is no load bearing wall to support the end of your new wood then extend your sistered joists 3' beyond the damaged area. A key part is to have 3' minimum of good wood for attaching your sistered members.

Old 06-03-24, 05:32 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Is there a load bearing wall below?
Nope, other than the outside wall on the left.

​​​​​​​extend your sistered joists 3' beyond the damaged area
That's what I was looking for. Not quite what I was hoping for, but it's a good rule. I guess some flooring in the bedroom is coming up.

​​​​​​​Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: