Possible Load Bearing?

Old 07-08-24, 07:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible Load Bearing?

I am wanting to remove this shower wall next to the toilet. It is possible that it is perpendicular to the ceiling joist but the wall is only 3 feet long. It's next to an exterior wall too. Is it possible that this is a load bearing or was it to just have for the shower head. There isn't a wall mirrored to this on the adjacent room next to it. I added some photos for reference. Also it looks like it's parallel to the floor joist? Would floor joist and cieling joist be perpendicular to each other? Reason why I ask is because if the cieling is parallel to the floor then they will be perpendicular to the rafters vs parallel.

Old 07-08-24, 09:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
Seems unlikely. What is immediately below this wall (the floor below/basement)?

Old 07-09-24, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
I agree that it is unlikely that short section of wall is load bearing. To confirm you can look underneath in the basement or crawl space. If there is a beam or post underneath the wall then yes it is load bearing but it if looks like all the other floor structure (just joists) then it is not.

Old 07-09-24, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Check the width of the wall. It's not likely load bearing but if it's 6.5" wide, there could be a vent pipe inside it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: