I need to repair wood laminate...

Old 08-27-05, 07:55 PM
jwoman
Visiting Guest
I need to repair wood laminate...

I bought a desk that is old (real wood) and is in good condition except for the top. It has wood laminate on the top that is bubbled in the center and coming loose on the edges. Is there any way to get it off and reglue it? Thanks!

Old 08-29-05, 06:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may want to call in a professional for this.

It's almost impossible to remove veneer (even loose veneer) without destroying it. It can, however, be reglued.

First step is to strip the top, removing any and all old finish. After the piece is clean and dry, the edges can be reglued with regular wood glue. You need to clean out any dirt/debris that is under the edges for proper adhesion. A small amout of glue spread with a thin blade knife (I use an artist pallett knife) will let you reach everywhere you need to.

Put a piece of wax paper (not plastic wrap) over the area and stack as many books as you can on top to apply pressure. The glue that runs out will not stick to the wax paper. Leave overnight.

Using a NEW single edge razor blade, cut a slit in the bubble running with the grain. Work glue into the slit under the veneer and treat as above - wax paper, books, etc.

Any glue that squeezes out and dries on the surface can be carefully scraped off with a razor.

Stain and finish as you choose.

PS - It is sometimes possible to reattach veneer using a hot iron, but I don't suggest this method for a novice.

Old 08-29-05, 03:53 PM
jwoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I will try that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: