Dining table size vs room size

Old 02-01-06, 01:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dining table size vs room size

Is there a rule about how much room you should have around a dining table. I am purchasing a home with a dinette area that measures 150.5 x 132. I have fallen in love with a dining table that is 77" x 44".

This seems fine at first glance, but the side wall of the dining area has the back door on it. If the table is centered the table would be 37" away from the door (which I am guessing is 32" wide). So, the door would not hit the table if I didn't put chairs on the ends.

Also, the 132 measurement is from the back wall to the kitchen bar area. If I placed the table 30" from the back wall, then there would be 58" to the bar. This is a main walkway. Would that be enough room to not cause a bottleneck during a party if people are sitting back to back at the table and the bar?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-06, 03:31 PM
i believe you need a bare minimum of 24" in order to pull out a chair & sit down. but that's just between the table and a wall.

as far as if this is really enough for you, with having a traffic lane there, i'd take a bunch of newspapers & tape & make templates of all of this & lay it all out on the floor & SEE how it's going to work out.

then weigh the importance of seating people comfortably (you don't say how many people in your family will be using the table at the same time on a daily basis) versus having good traffic flow space for parties (one time a year during holidays vs every Friday night). for that matter, if this is your main door in & out (to the garage maybe?) you don't want the space to feel tight & like you're squeezing through every time - it'll get annoying really fast, especially if this is the pathway for carrying in groceries.

with barstools at the bar, i'm thinking it's getting tight in there. sitting at a table eating, your chair is scooted pretty close. but at a party, i'd think people would push out further, maybe have their legs crossed, etc. which would take up more space. it might be that a round table will work better for you.

sorry i don't have a definite yes or no for you!

Old 02-01-06, 03:41 PM
RememberMe,

It would be wise to allow at least 30" - 36" for a traffic lane between these chairs/stools. Trying to squeeze what you have when they are all occupied will be just too tight.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-01-06, 04:29 PM
R
Thanks for the help. We're not in the home yet which makes this harder, but I'd like to order a table now b/c I will be hosting a party less than a month after moving in. I've been trying to plot it out in my current dining room, but since it's a different shape, I'm having trouble deciding.

This table is oval. All of the round tables that I've seen and liked have been more than 44" in diameter, which doesn't help the stool situation at all. We're just a family of 3. My husband, me and our 8 month old. We have parties at the house about 4-5 times a year. The walkway between the table and the bar is the main walkway from the living room to the kitchen and from the living room to the guest bath.

Hmm.. 24 inches to pull out the chair + 24 inches to pull out the bar stool + 36 inch walkway = 84 inches. If the table is 84" from the bar and 30" from the wall, the table can only be 36" wide. That will be hard to find. Hmmm...

Old 02-02-06, 08:20 AM
the problem, as i see it, is the bar. without the bar, it's a normal sized dining room. but for the 4 or 5 occasions when you'll have a party, it'll be tight there. wouldn't just not placing a chair at the table directly across from the bar stool solve the problem? or the person at the table sitting sideways, or......? it would also help to get barstools without arms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: