would this table be too big for my condo dining rm?

Old 11-03-06, 04:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
would this table be too big for my condo dining rm?

Im thinking about purchasing a pub table thats 54"x54" the dining rooms size is 8ftx10ft...witha door to the bedroom on the one 10ft wall and one side open to the kitchen and living room ,
8ft
l
[
l
l

its the best i can do to show the walls, the door ([) is on the 10 ft wall the rest is open to the kitchen and living room, thanks

Last edited by jaxxx123; 11-03-06 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-03-06, 05:32 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If room is 8x10', placing a 4.5'x4.5' table in the middle will leave only 1.75' on each side of the table on the 8' wall and 2.75' on each side on the 10' wall.

Note that you will need room to pull chairs out from the table and with some room to spare. Depending on diningroom chair size, seat depth could be somewhere between 17" to 20" or more. If you round seat depth up to 24" or 2', there is simply not enough room. And, there would be no room for a side board or hutch.

In small diningrooms, round tables tend to squeeze in more people and take up less space. The key is to select a table that is the right size and shape for your diningroom. Generally, a minimum of 22 to 30 inches is required for each person seated next to each other and at least 30 inches across the table. There should be a minimum of 48", or 4', from the edge of the table to the wall. This allows for chairs to be pulled out and people to step away from the table without banging walls or table. So, you can quickly see that your table is too large for your diningroom. Too, you have to access the bedroom door for which traffic floor should not be impeded.

Was the area originally intend to be a breakfast nook? A bench for seating could be built across the 8' wall, a small round ice-cream parlor size table and a couple chairs could suffice and keep furniture within the scale of the room. A drop-leaf table in the livingroom could serve as an accessory furniture piece and pulled out when needed for dining and entertaining there.

Depending on size and layout of livingroom, in an open floor plan there may be an area there that could accommodate a diningroom table and chairs there.

Old 11-03-06, 08:13 PM
J
hmmm despite an open floorplan on my condo putting a dining set anywhere else besides the dining rm would probably look out of place... I found a pub dining rm set that smaller at 42"x42"..how would that work?? my ceiling height is 12 ft so Im not sure if a pub style or regular height table would look better. i do want the most space I can get for my dinning room table to seat atleast 4 comfortably ir not more.

Old 11-03-06, 09:52 PM
T
42"x42" is 3.5' x 3.5" and will give you 2.25' on either side the table on the 8' wall. That is 27". That a little better but still tight. On the 10' wall you would have 3.25' on each side or 39" which is getting better. If you went with a 3x3' table it would give you 2.5' on either side on the 8' wall, which is an increase of 1/4" over the 42x42 and 3.5' on either side on the 10' wall and 3.5' on either side, and again just an increase of 1/4". A 30"x30" table would give you 2.75' on either side on the 8' wall and 3.75' on either side on the 10' wall. This is 1/2" gain over the 42x42" on the 8' & 10' wall.

A 30x30 table would seat four with almost 3' (2.75) on one side and almost 4' (3.75) on the other side. There would be no room for any additional pieces of furniture. It would be a small table but would allow people to push back chairs and stand up if they are not huge people. Regular height table would be better. Ice cream parlor heights are best for bar areas at patio or in recreational rooms.

You might still want to consider a drop-leaf table against the wall in the livingroom. This could be pulled out and used for overflow dining if needing additional dining space. Of course, card tables can be elegantly adorned and serve as overflow seating in a restaurant style atmosphere.

In such a small room with a high ceiling, you might want to consider painting the ceiling a dark color in order to give the illusion that it is not so high. Chandlier should hang lower in order to bring lighting down to the table. Lighter wall color and perhaps a mirror would provide the illusion of greater size. If solid surface flooring, omitting an area rug will also open up the area. If there is a window on that 8' wall, keep window treatments light and airy for a more open feel. Colorful table accessories would tend to keep the eyes focused on the table and not traveling upward to the tall ceiling.

Cut out newspapers and tape together to the size of tables. Cut out 2' squares and place around them. This will give you an idea how much room there will be and how much the traffic flow to the bedroom door will be impeded. If not using the table everyday for four, then table could be pushed back toward 8' wall to help free up passage to the bedroom door. When entertaining, pull it out. You will likely not be going into the bedroom when entertaining anyway, unless there is a bathroom in there.

Old 11-03-06, 11:59 PM
J
I dont think I could I could go anything smaller than a 42x42" table for space for 4 ppl or a nice poker table. I might look into a round table since it might give me more flexibility on space and moving the chairs around.

I drop leaf table would be nice but I havent realy found one that I like..Im looking for something more comtemporary.

remember that only one wall is a full 8ft the opposite side is open to the kitchen and theres also one full 10ft wall and the opposite side only has a 4ft wall that divides the room from the entrance of the condo and leaves the rest open to the kitchen. theres no windows on the walls of the dining besides the door to the bedroom.

I might just add a mirror and a plant in the corner to add some decor. Ill try to get some pics up.

with the high 12ft ceiling, would a pub height table be better or a regular height table?

Old 11-04-06, 01:45 AM
T
Pictures would be good. Post them at www.photobucket.com and a link here so we can all go take a look.

In regard to the 'pub' height tables, depending upon your decor, mood, theme of home, I have difficulty envisioning a pub table in a diningroom. I have been in a couple homes where they had the pub height table in a nook in the kitchen. For me, I can't envision having a romantic candlelight dinner with a significant other at a pub height table. But, that's just me.

It's difficult to believe that a builder would but an 8' wall in a DR with access to the bedroom from the DR.

Round tables do offer the opportunity to crowd more people around. I recently saw an HGTV episode where a single male in an efficiency apartment who had friends over to play poker had the HGTV team do a makeover. They built four upholstered short benches, three of which fit together beneath a window to make one bench and could be separated and moved around the table when poker buddies came over. They built a round table to fit in the corner in front of the window and benches. The fourth bench was placed on the opposite side of the table for the single male to sit on when eating. The guy was thrilled that he no longer had to eat off the coffee table. It was a very clever way to economize on space in the small corner of the efficiency apartment.

Old 11-04-06, 08:17 AM
If you are not set on a pub table there are several varieties of drop leaf and expandable dining tables from Ikea and other stores. One, which we saw in the store but I haven't seen on the website, collapsed down to seat 2 or expanded out to seat 8. The room that we will use for dining is only 10 x 12 and will have a futon and TV in it. Since we only need to expand out the table for guest and holiday dinners, this is the route we are taking.

Just a thought...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: