Dining table solution - help!

Old 12-10-06, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Dining table solution - help!

We have a small home but occasionally entertain groups of 2-4. Our "dining room" will double as a family room, so we don't have any space for a formal dining set. I am looking for an inexpensive dining table solution that can double as a work/craft table or be folded away when not in use.

I found this at Target.com, and several iterations online (Sears, Amazon): http://www.target.com/gp/product/B000E5CQ1W/ref=wl_itt_dp/601-5695432-7239326?ie=UTF8&coliid=I17JVAXEPEHKSI&colid=13EMQ5OVD3DO2

I like the price, the way it looks, it folds down, and the chairs stow away. It could even double as a side table when folded down. Unfortunately it's only available online so we can't go look at it. Hubby fears we won't be able to put more than 4 chairs around it, and ideally we'd like to fit six (for Xmas dinner, two weeks away!). What does everyone else think?

If it's not big enough, does anyone have any creative solutions other than buying a standard folding table and chairs (ugly ugly ugly...)

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-10-06, 03:07 PM
Expandable Table

Have you tried looking for and expandable table with a leaf, or a drop-leaf table with fold-out side sections. This would look more like a dining room table, but could "grow", depending on the party. I have seen a sideboard table that folds out into a square, card table. Try looking here: http://************/yajpxy Go to furniture--dining room--folding tables.

Old 12-11-06, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately those options do not seat more than 2-4.

Old 12-11-06, 09:58 AM
it'll be tight, but you can get 6 around that table. just don't use placemats, as they're too confining & they'd probably overlap. use a tablecloth (or nothing) and you'll be fine.

to visualize it, use masking tape & tape out a 36x58 rectangle. then take 6 placemats or actual plates & arrange them on the rectangle to see how it will fit.

that said, it only comes with 4 chairs. when you have 6 guests, what will you do for the other 2 chairs?

i think since you're wanting a work/craft table, too, i'd just get a plastic top/metal leg folding table & folding chairs. you can get attractive table cloths & even chair covers for folding chairs, although, imo, some folding chairs look nice & have padded seats & come in nice colors.

Last edited by Annette; 12-11-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-11-06, 10:36 AM
Annette, thanks for the reassurance. We don't really have room to store a full folding table (or at least not stash one anyplace) which is why this option seemed nice since it can be stored in full view. (guess I should have mentioned that?) Neighbors have a zillion folding chairs and we are on a regular borrowing program between the two households.

However hubby pointed out that we actually *own* a large folding table that seats about 8, it's just been sitting in an ex-band member's studio for the last four years. Might try to get that back, use it for the holidays, finish the remodel, and *then* decide what the best furniture choice is.

Old 12-11-06, 11:06 AM
you could probably store the table either behind a sofa that's up against a wall or under it, or under a bed. and maybe tuck the chairs away in a closet (or several closets!)

Old 12-11-06, 11:09 AM
Yeah we will figure something out. Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: