Can box springs be placed on floor?

Old 01-05-07, 08:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can box springs be placed on floor?

I have a Simmons bed with a 3" memory foam topper I love but the hieght of the bed now is becoming a problem. Its hard for me to reach my end tables. I was thinking of placing the box springs directly on the floor and then the mattress on top. Its a king size bed.. is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 08:11 PM
T
It's your personal choice. Many people just starting out who can afford a mattress and box springs but not a bed simply place on the floor. The only problem might be with the use of a dust ruffle which would likely puddle on the floor.

Old 01-05-07, 08:31 PM
C
Another question I had..do Sleigh beds use a box spring? Some of the ones ive seen look like they just hold the mattress.

Old 01-06-07, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 75 Posts
Yes, sleigh beds use a box spring. It just seems to be hidden because of the wood all around.

Old 01-06-07, 07:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
You can do whatever you want. You don't necessarily even need the box spring - mattress manufacturers will tell you they're important, but I've never seen much difference.

Old 01-06-07, 07:14 AM
T
I forgot about college days when lots of people simply had a mattress on the floor.

Old 01-08-07, 10:47 AM
you could also switch out your current boxspring for a low-profile one. then you'd still have the storage space (or air space if you're into feng shui) beneath the bed.

when manufacturer's began making mattress thicker, they started making the boxsprings shorter, to keep everything even. however, retailers often fail to sell the LP boxprings with the extra thick mattresses & you end up with beds that require a small ladder to get into.

Old 01-08-07, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
you end up with beds that require a small ladder to get into.

Personally I like a tall bed - makes it easier for an old man to get out of bed in the AM

I had a customer that had a large master bed rm [approx 16'x20'] with 10' ceiling and tray. She did have an upholstered set of stairs for it. Looked like to me that once you got out of bed you would be standing straight up when your feet hit the floor

Old 01-08-07, 01:41 PM
S
Most box springs don't actually have springs in them nowadays anyway
If you listen carefully they call them "foundations"

Box springs were invented back when we had hard matts made of hay, cotton batting, horsehair and the like
The springs underneath made them a bit comfier

Now that matts are thicker and comfier, and they've realized that the support should come from underneath, and the comfort from up top, most mattress sets use a very firm torsion bar foundation, or even a solid state (wood slats, upholstered to look like a "box spring") foundation

Someone who is very sensitive to the comfort levels of bedding may notice the difference if a modern matt is put directly on the floor rather than a torsion bar foundation
I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference if the foundation was put on the floor rather than a frame

That's not a big deal comfort/support/longevity-wise

Old 02-15-07, 12:16 AM
I
Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
I have a Simmons bed with a 3" memory foam topper I love but the hieght of the bed now is becoming a problem. Its hard for me to reach my end tables. I was thinking of placing the box springs directly on the floor and then the mattress on top. Its a king size bed.. is this ok?
My box spring is on the floor. i dont see a problem with it

-Robin