Repair Wood Table

Old 01-22-08, 09:46 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair Wood Table

I have a kitchen table that is made of solid real wood. It is not vanere. This table is 8 years old and needs to be refurbished - not striped and re-stained.

I need to know how I can get the top of my table to have the same sheen as the lesser used legs and supports. They shine, and are smooth to the touch. My top is rough, the stain is coming off in some areas and no longer repel water.

How can I get that industrial strength high gloss sheen that it had when I first got it?

Cheryl

PS I just test Howard's Restoration product and followed up with the wax finishing coat and did not get the protective sheen I was seeking. Can I put a polyurethane on now?

Old 01-22-08, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You will need to remove any wax. Should be able to wipe it down with mineral spirits. Then lightly sand before applying the poly. My personal preference is MinWax Polycrylic water-based poly. Goes on easy, dries fast, cleans up easy, doesn't smell, hard shiny finish. The fast drying is what I especially like; you can put on multiple coats in a day (light sanding between coats). Comes in gloss, semi-gloss, and satin. If you browse the paint section at your local big-box home center they'll have sample pieces of wood that will show you how the finishes look over various stain colors and usually on both oak & pine for comparison.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: