Reparing Recliner Mechanism

Old 01-20-12, 06:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reparing Recliner Mechanism

I have an unknown brand double-wide recliner we love to sit in (wife & I or kids). It's over 10 yrs old and I'm hoping to make it last another 10 years. Over time I've made various repairs to it -- supporting the frame with brackets, replacing/supporting 3/4" plywood with solid oak lumber (extra scrap I have around), etc therefore it's still in good shape.

However, here's where the DIY options start becoming limited: the metal bracket that supports the back/head area in the recliner mechanism is cracked and worsening.
CRACK ~ 3/4" TOP VIEW:

QUESTION: I want to put JB-Weld or something similar to slow/prevent further cracking. Suggestions?

That particular bracket looks replaceable since there is just 1 bolt to remove it from the back, but it then connects to the lower mechanism by two rivets. I would consider drilling out the rivets and buying a replacement if I just knew what kind of chair this was. It's missing the usual nameplates and markings.

Old 01-21-12, 06:52 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
IMO, you will never find a part that is riveted on, they would only have an assembly if anything. However, if you can remove it, a welder could probably fix it and add reinforcement. If there is a matching one on the other side, be sure to check it as well.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: