Metal platform bed frames / is box spring necessary?

Old 06-28-12, 11:10 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Metal platform bed frames / is box spring necessary?

We're going to be buying a new mattress and bed frame. I would like to reclaim some of the potential storage space taken up by the box spring. I'm looking at several platform metal bed frames online; these all hold the mattress about 14" off the floor and have a fairly closely-spaced wire lattice to support the mattress and therefore are to be used without a box spring.

I have a nagging concern that the box spring really does serve a purpose (even though I don't think they're common in many other parts of the world) and I don't want to sacrifice comfort or the longevity of my new mattress. I doubt that the mattress store is a good place to get unbiased advice about this. Does anyone here have experience with or opinions about these tall box-spring-less metal bed frames?

Old 06-28-12, 11:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
I have a platform under mine - like a waterbed except I didn't need the sides to hold in the bladder so it's just flat. Works just fine and then we have drawers under the bed for storage.

Old 06-28-12, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
The 1st home I bought was an old MH that the back end was rounded top and bottom. The only way to fit a bed in there was to build one to set a mattress on - no box spring. That was 40 yrs ago and I still think that was the best sleeping bed I've ever had!..... and you can never have too much storage place, if you don't believe me - ask my wife

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: