Repair a non-reclining recliner

Old 02-05-16, 12:28 PM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Repair a non-reclining recliner

I have a reclining sofa with a seat that no longer reclines.

This sofa has plastic handles on the inside of each arm rest which you pull forward to unlock the recliner. It feels like the cable that runs from the handle to the recliner's lock mechanism has become disengaged.

I turned the sofa on its back and I can see that the cable is engaged with the lock. So it must have come loose from the handle. The cable looks like a typical metal bicycle brake cable, so I doubt the cable itself broke.

The problem is I can't see the handle end of the cable because it disappears into the upholstery. So I'm stuck at this point.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-16, 12:31 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the only thing stopping you is a little upholstery, cleanly pull the staples preventing you from seeing what you need to see. When you're done, button it back up...

Old 02-05-16, 01:14 PM
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Having looked at one end of the cable, I decided to look at the other end. After watching a couple of YouTubes to gain confidence, I removed the handle from the arm rest.

The metal cable is indeed broken, right at the point of entry to the handle. This repair just went above my pay grade.