Where to find round screw connectors for a bench?

Old 09-02-20, 07:47 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to find round screw connectors for a bench?

We have a second-hand bench that has these strange round screws. Two of them are falling apart, one is missing. Tried to find replacement ones at Home Depot and they said they didn't carry it and to contact the furniture manufacturer. Does anyone know which manufacturer uses these or where we can find them? Failing that, would taking these out and drilling in thick screws instead be as sturdy? The bench is rather heavy and over 2 meters long with a cross-beam.

Screw taken apart - outside

Screw taken apart - inside

Last edited by Jenya Levin; 09-02-20 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Additional picture
Old 09-02-20, 08:09 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
These are called Cam Locks. Very specific to the manufacturer. Not meant to be undone or moved. Sauder uses them but I don't think this is their type.

Check out this site, maybe you can find replacements

https://www.essentracomponents.com/e...waAt0uEALw_wcB

Jenya Levin voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-20, 08:43 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
All of this type of furniture is cheap but functional. It's meant to be built in place and not moved. Especially if it's big. At our store we would offer pre assembly for a fee. But on the large units we no longer offer that service due to moving will usually break the damage the unit.

As far as substituting, you'll need to use your ingenuity. Perhaps gluing or screwing inside corner pieces. We have done some very innovated solutions when it happens to us. But each piece of furniture is unique.

Old 09-02-20, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Start by measuring your camloc fastener. Then you can look online and hopefully find a suitable replacement. There is no standardization so you'll just have to look. I recall the last time I was at Ikea near the check outs they had bins of the misc fasteners they use because they are proprietary and difficult to find except from the manufacturer.

If you find the camlocs you need you should order some posts as well. It looks like two of yours are bent.

Old 09-02-20, 07:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Could you use bolts and washers/nuts instead?

Old 09-02-20, 08:00 AM
J
I've added a picture of the bench connectors. Not sure how to do bolts/washers with this - the "stick" parts of the screws are not inserted from the outer surface of the bench side, but go into the side on one end and into the round screw parts in the bench top on the other end.

Old 09-02-20, 08:24 AM
J
Thank you, Norm201. I'll dig through that site. If they are not meant to be undone/moved, what do you think would be best alternative to replace them?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: