Replacement wheels for bed frame on hardwood floor

Old 10-30-20, 07:12 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement wheels for bed frame on hardwood floor

Hi. Hope everyone is safe.

Recently pulled up carpets and laid hardwood in all rooms/bedrooms upstairs. The bed frames have those hard plastic wheels that are pretty much standard on all of these metal, sizable frames. I have read that they are quite damaging to hardwood floors, as they are really designed to be used on carpet, so I want to replace them.

The first thing I came across (actually during a carpet pad research project) is that a lot of "plastics" don't do well on hardwood flooring as they mar the finish. It is said that rubber, polyurethane and neoprene are pretty much the way to go on hardwoods. The Mohawk carpet pad I picked up, I bought because of the rubber backing. Thoughts on this?

Second, I found it increasingly more difficult to find bed frame feet/wheels when I filtered them for rubber, etc. Until I came to office chair replacement wheels. I could feel the comfort as I read about them and will definitely be replacing my chair wheels but it got me thinking about whether they can be used on bed frames. I understand a lot of them don't include locks (lockable ones are out there), which I think are important for a bed frame to keep it in place, but does anyone have any thoughts, experience with office chair wheels or similar on bed frames? Any other advise that I'm missing? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-20, 07:41 AM
S
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Have you searched rubber bed stopper / furniture cups?

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 10-30-20, 07:57 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Why not just remove the wheels and install felt pads, every room that we changed over to hardwood everything that touched the floor got felt!

Old 10-30-20, 08:28 AM
E
Thanks SandburRanch I saw similar and was concerned about the depth of material at the lowest point of the cup. Not sure how well they will hold up. Second, I will still have to move the bed for cleaning which means I still have the "bad" wheels on the frame and an additional task of lifting bed off these things and then placing back on. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-30-20, 08:34 AM
E
Thanks Marq1 After removing the wheels, was the height difference an issue? How did you deal with that? Also, is there an issue with the bed sliding if felt is only thing there? One wrong move on the bed and you might end up in the hallway!

Old 10-30-20, 08:57 AM
S
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the bed is to be cleaned under consider a Robot Roomba cleaner, instruct the maid to clean there or purchase a set of 4 furniture sliders to place under the stoppers to transport the bed to and from.

Old 10-30-20, 09:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I have American Cherry floors in our house which is a pretty soft wood so it's easily damaged by hard rollers. I don't use casters sold for use on beds. They all tend to be pretty uniformly garbage and leave divots in the floor. I buy urethane casters from industrial suppliers. They are available in a dizzying array of sizes, widths and colors and are very gentle on the floor. The head of our master bed is between two night stands so those are free castering while the two at the foot of the bed are locking.

Old 10-30-20, 09:33 AM
E
Thanks Pilot Dane I have been looking around and I think I now have an additional problem: the stem on the current wheels, as measured with calipers, is 43/128 in. or 8.5 mm which I believe translates into a 3/8" diameter. Most of what I've seen so far have larger diameters (5/8 and up). Do you mind, if possible, naming the supplier you think has the widest selection? Also, the stem I have is a friction fit job but it doesn't have a loose ring. It is a molded ring that sits about an 1/8" down from the top. I've seen them called different names at some sites. Do they work the same?

Old 10-30-20, 09:43 AM
If you dont find it here it's probably not made.

https://www.mcmaster.com/casters

Old 10-30-20, 11:00 AM
E
Contacted them but they told me that it is too "complex" to ship to Canada. I thought it was an urban myth that Americans couldn't find Canada on a map . Actually, they mentioned that they don't sell to residential addresses given the cost involved. The search continues!!

Old 10-30-20, 11:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
WOW! I have never heard that from McMaster Carr. They are sort of the Sears catalog of industrial stuff.

Do a search for "caster with 3/8 threaded stem". Before ordering I would get a known 3/8 bolt and run into the hole to make sure you get the correct thread pitch and that it's not metric (Yes, I am American and have heard of the Metric system).

Old 10-30-20, 03:26 PM
E
I know the metric system is supposed to be better in so many ways but my most used tool is my metric to imperial converter!! So many times, the metric equivalent simply doesn't resonate with me: did you know 27 degrees is a really nice temperature? My thermostats show Fahrenheit!!

Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-30-20, 05:06 PM
I know the metric system is supposed to be better
So the USA and some place in Europe are the only countries on the planet that still use English measurements. Even though everything we touch has dual labels we still cling to the old.

Maybe some day we'll move into the current, not future, world!

Old 10-31-20, 06:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
It's a shame our dreams of the metric system went out with the Carter administration. I'm afraid we are cursed with another century of adding and subtracting fractions and trying to remember how many teaspoons are in an ounce.