Coffee Table Repair

Old 02-23-21, 05:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coffee Table Repair

Hi, I need help with trying to refinish my coffee table top which I left something on top of which has taken off the wax finish and left just the dull wood.

Would anyone know how to fix this? Is it just a case of rewaxing it (would that bring the darker wood colour back) or maybe I need to stain it first and then rewax it? Or do I now need to strip the whole top

Thanks!

Old 02-23-21, 06:51 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Was it water or alcohol? What is the finish on the table?

If a water stain on a wax finish, you may be able to get it out by heating a white cotton tee shirt on it with an iron. If that does not work then restaining and waxing may be necessary,

If a solid finish like polyurethane, lacquer, varnish, etc. damaged by water (unlikely) or alcohol. Then restaining and refinishing may be necessary, but the entire table will have to be refinished.

Old 02-23-21, 07:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks John, no it wasn't water, I had a pot of ona gel sitting on there which is an odur nutriliser, all it says is that it is made up of essential oils, basically some must have spilled out onto the bottom of the jar and then it stuck to the table and when I removed it, it pulled off the top layer of wax, so basically I now need to sand it all down and refinish it, I am not even sure if it was stained originally or just waxed.

Old 02-23-21, 09:04 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Yeah, it looks like the finish was lifted off. You could sand the area lightly and use a stain pen to cover it, then wax if that is the existing finish. If a wax finish there will probably be no or a very fine ridge at the edges of the circle. If poly or other finish that has a thickness there will be a more pronounced ridge. Refinishing a small area with a non-wax finish will be very noticeable so the entire table will have to be refinished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: