Need side mounted floating shelf in between two walls?

Old 02-18-24, 08:00 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Need side mounted floating shelf in between two walls?

I like to add two shelf in an open bar area in between two walls. So, the long side of the shelf would be exposed on both sides. The smaller sides would need to be mounted to the two walls. I like a shelf with some structure to it, possibly able to insert small mini recessed led lights.

When I search for such shelf I only find the type with rear mounting (long side to wall). What is such a shelf called?

Old 02-18-24, 08:33 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Need more info. What is the distance between 2 walls and proposed shelf width and thickness? What do you plan on placing on shelves besides light fixtures?

Old 02-18-24, 08:46 AM
D
distance is ~42.5"
Thickness: maybe 2"

Old 02-18-24, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,999 Upvotes on 3,589 Posts
What are the side walls made of ?

Typically one long side of a floating shelf is open and the shelf slides on that way.
You want floating shelves that are supported from the ends because you can see both long sides.

You may have to build your own.

You'd to install two cleats on the wall that the shelf could slide on.
You could pre-build something with a top, bottom and one side.
You would then slide it on and install the last side.
I think I'd build it in place.
The cleat dimensions as well as type of top and bottom material is determined by the amount of weight you need to put on it. 42" is quite a stretch.

Old 02-18-24, 04:56 PM
Received 391 Upvotes on 340 Posts
If the shelf is low enough that you will not see under it, you can build it as an inverted “U” and drop it onto the cleats. A light fixture inside can light the surface below.

Old 02-18-24, 05:48 PM
D
I will be able to see underneath the shelf from the dining table, for sure on the second shelf. My plan is to replace this glass cabinet with two shelves going across the two walls which are 2x4 with drywall.

I guess, I could start with a U and then fill in the space from below. But it will go beyond my current abilities (tools, patience,..) I was hoping to find somebody on Etsy or so who could at least getting me started.

Old 02-19-24, 02:39 PM
B
You did not provide the shelf width. The shelf cleats need to be attached to the side walls so the cleats must span 2 studs. I doubt you can purchase material for a shelf with a 42.5 inch length without cutting since lumber comes in foot increments.

Old 02-19-24, 02:47 PM
D
with: planned 12-14". I am not planning to put a lot of weight on it
One one side I have only one stud, about middle (I might need to open wall anyhow)
other side has surprisingly two within desired mounting location.

Old 02-20-24, 04:30 AM
B
Another way of supporting the shelf is to cut 2 pieces from the same board for the shelf to a length equal to the vertical location of the shelf. The 2 pieces, one against each wall can be attached to the shelf using brads from the top of shelf into each vertical support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: