tacky knot-holes

Old 08-22-02, 06:30 AM
binnette
Visiting Guest
tacky knot-holes

Good morning George.

I followed your advise and have an almost gorgeous table - except for one small problem.

I applied to varnish to the knot-holes, fine sanded and re-urethaned the top. This was the perfect solution. Thank you so much.

The one small problem is a swath of duller finish about 1/2 inch wide and about 3 inches long....right in the middle of the table top.

Do you think I could try to re-do the one plank rather than the entire table top?

I would be very, very careful. Is there anything else I could try?

Can't wait to hear.

binnette

Old 08-22-02, 06:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
good news/bad news - first the good.

The mistake was a common one - you didn't keep stirring the finish or failed to stir it enough before you started - hence the change in sheen caused by the flattening agent in the finish. Good news is it can be corrected.

Bad news - you'll have to do the entire top. Varnish and polyurethane are reactive finishes; once they dry they can not be dissolved into their previous liquid form by applying more finish. What that means, in short, if you try to finish just the one area that's wrong, you'll leave a line at the edge of your "touchup" no matter what you do; the final coat and the touchup coat will NOT blend together.

FYI: Lacquer and shellac finishes can be "touched up" in the manner you describe. I've done it hundreds of times. Both lacquer and shellac redissolve when another coat is applied - there is virtually no line between the old and new, and what little delineation there is can be sanded and polished out. Not so with poly and varnish.

Old 08-23-02, 06:28 AM
binnette
Visiting Guest
Unhappy sticky knot-hles

Oh George. that's what I was afraid you'd say.

Well, I'm back to the garage.

Now, I'm hoping that before Christmas, we'll be able to sit at the kitchen table.

I'll let you know.

Thanks very much.

binnette

Old 08-27-02, 06:04 AM
binnette
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up tacky knot-holes

Good morning George.

I am so happy to report to you that the table is finished and gorgeous!

I re-stripped the urethane for the fourth time from the table top and cleaned it very carefully - very, very carefully and several times.

I purchased new urethane and brushes (just in case some debris was left over from the last time) and went to work.

Everything turned out fantastic.

The shellac sealed the weepy knot-holes and the urethane slid over the table like a dream.

No marks, no haziness and no more tackiness.

Soooooooo happy!!!

Thanks for all your help.

binnette

Old 08-28-02, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Always glad to hear from a satisified "customer".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: