Stained Pine French Doors

Old 08-22-02, 01:32 PM
sharondbrown
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Stained Pine French Doors

My husband and I recently had some pine interior french doors installed. However, the stain that was put on them is too dark, almost chocolate and a polyurethane was applied after they were stained. We are relatively new home owners and don't know how to go about stripping the doors back to their natural or close to natural state and restaining them. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 08-23-02, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most paint and varnish removers (strippers) I know of will do the job - at least as far as the finish goes. That's the good news. Here's the bad.

The doors are best worked on after being taken down. It's difficult to strip poly at best, and almost impossible if the doors are left hanging.

After stripping, you may find some of the stain has been removed. Some strippers will remove stain, some won't, and there's no way to predict which will in any given set of circumstances. You may wind up having to bleach the doors to lighten them.

If you're not dissuaded at this point, come on back and I'll go into specifics on how to get the job done.

Old 08-23-02, 03:03 PM
#1charles
Visiting Guest
I use Kwik Kleen products they have a stripper that will remove the stain and will disolve the poly instantly. you will have to order it and have it shiped. this is apro stripper but they do have it by the gallon.
www.kwickkleen.com
Charles

Old 08-23-02, 06:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with #1 about Kwik Kleen being a profesional grade stripper; with a litle looking, however, it should be available locally, without the need for having to have it shipped in. The building Supply I work for stocks it, in a town of less than 4,000 pop.

Old 08-23-02, 06:51 PM
#1charles
Visiting Guest
Dont confuse this with kleen strip its not the same you cant buy kwik kleen locally unless you live in one of the four locations that they have. their main office is in vinnceins Indiana. I am from indianapolis its 2 1/2 hours away and i cant buy it locally I sure wish i could.
the stuff you buy in the stores does not campair to this. this is a pro stripper it is very nasty stuff. I would recomend a liquid sripper to remove stain . just flood it on use some steel wool and elbow grease and you should be able to take it to bare wood.
after stripping rinse with paint thinner or water. if you have darkening in wood flood with oxcilic acids.
George if you can buy this loacally let me no where it would save me alot of time and $$$. thanks.
Charles

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: