refinishing dining table

Old 08-25-02, 11:58 AM
Gabbie
Visiting Guest
Question refinishing dining table

I have a Duncan Phyfe antique dining table, with a self-storing leaf. I picked it up at an Estate sale along with a Buffet for next to nothing for both pieces.

Trouble is, both pieces are painted black (although I'm not sure they are really a set, maybe painted to be a set).

Each time we wash the table-top we're getting a good deal of black on our cloths.

We know that the table top is some sort of veneer. The rest appears to be solid wood, maybe mahogany?

I don't have a problem stripping and finishing the lower portion of the table, but have concerns of what to do with the table top. Do I need to take it to an expert to have it recovered? Or may I comfortably tackle it with my PalmSander, stain and varnish it.

If I can refinish it, what products are safe for food surfaces?

Thank you for your comments!

Old 08-25-02, 01:39 PM
#1charles
Visiting Guest
you must be careful just trying to sand off the paint,you could easily gothrough the veneer. you can strip this with a good stripper. then sand it carfully. If it is not in to bad of shape i would recomend using a block and hand sand it. power sanders and table tops = trouble unless you are extreamly carful.
As far as the finish is conserned all modern day finishes are safe for food and children. (After they are cured)
Good luck
Charles

Old 08-25-02, 04:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Charles hit it on the head - stripper for the top - you may not even need to sand afterwards, and yes, I suggest hand sanding also - it's a lot safer when you're dealing with veneer.

As Charles mentioned, it's the solvents that make finish a hazard - once they dry they're OK for food prep surfaces. As a matter of fact, shellac is edible (the dried finish) - it's absolutely non-toxic

Old 08-29-02, 09:02 AM
Gabbie
Visiting Guest
thank you both for your feedback.

okay. strip then possibly hand-sand. Followed by shellac.

I've never done any chemical strippers. For paint, which do you recommend? How messy can I expect it to be? I think I'm imagining the worst.

I also would imagine having lots of rags on hand and a container to toss the used ones, then take to hazardous waste drop-off?

Also, which brand of shellac do you recommend?

thank you.

Old 08-29-02, 04:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I use several strippers; Strypeeze by Savogran and Kwik. The former is a semi paste and clings to vertical surfaces; the second is a pure liquid and aids in removing any underlying stain.

It is important to have an area dedicated to the refinishing job; an area that's out of traffic where the work will be undisturbed until complete.

Shellac would NOT be my finish of choice for furniture in active use. It doesn't stand up well, and water spots easily. I'd use polyurethane. Remember the previous posts; NONE of the clear finishes today are harmful once the solvents have evaporated. If you're still concerned, investigate a water base poly.

Steel wool, a putty knife, and paper towels (they're a LOT cheaper and more abundant than rags), are what I use in removing the chemical stripper. Methods of disposing of the residue change from area to area - consult your local sanitation department. Some will take the residue (sealed in a paint can) along with your regular trash; some won't.

For further information, do a 'search' on this forum. The search button is located at the top right hand corner of your screen. Click it, select "Furniture Refinishing" as the forum, and type in what you're looking for. The more general your query, the larger number of responses you'll get.

If you can't find the answer to a specific question, come on back and ask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: