staining/top coats

Old 09-21-02, 07:00 AM
lordecor
Visiting Guest
Question staining/top coats

What is the difference between polyurethane, urethane, and varathane?

I am working on small pieces of pine furniture and also want to do some stripes on a latex-painted wall (can this be painted over later?)

Also, I have a couple of spots on a small stand I just stained that I did not see until dried where I must of touched the brush and left more stain. Is there a way to remove or tone down these darker spots? I will be more careful next time!!

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-21-02, 07:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lordecor,

A very good question......

All three, well atleast two, are a type of varnish.
First, varnish is made by processing an oil(linseed, tung, etc.) with a plastic resin. Urethane is similar but with either synthetic alkyds, phenolics, etc. Polyurethane is a combinaton of oil and polyurethane resins.
Varathane is just a Flecto trademark name for their polyurethane.

I'll let someone else answer your other questions.

fred

Old 09-21-02, 10:34 AM
lordecor
Visiting Guest
Fred,

thanks for clearing that up about varathane - that makes sense with what I've seen of Flecto products.
Lorrie

Old 09-21-02, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Fred, for your explanation concerning varnish, poly, etc.

If you plant to clear coat any paint, I would suggest Minwax polycrylic. It's water clear and will adhere to most paints - try a sample before trying the real thing.

As far as the excess stain, you may be able to lighten it with a rag dampened with paint thinner.

Old 09-22-02, 11:24 AM
lordecor
Visiting Guest
Paint thinner sounds like a good idea,George - I will try it today.
Are you saying that Polycrylic is water-based and would be easier to cover at a later date? If I use an oil-based uirethane do you think will I have to use oil paint when I repaint?

Thanks for your help.
Lorrie

Old 09-22-02, 03:51 PM
I suggested polycrylic not becasue it's water based, but becasue it will adhere to paint and it is WATER CLEAR. All oil base finishes with which I am familiar have a yellow cast which will affect the color if applied over paint. Plus, most urethanes wil NOT adhere to paint.

If you plan to paint over any oil base finish, use oil base paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: