G.W.B.T. Co.

Old 09-24-02, 08:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
G.W.B.T. Co.

I just purchased a Drawing table ( I think ). A plate on it says 'G.W.B.T. Co. No.2383'. I know this may not be the right forum to ask this, but I thought someone may be familiar with the company name and might share some info on it.
Also, what is the best way to diassemble old oak furniture to reglue loose joints? Type of glue to use?

Tx

Old 09-25-02, 03:22 PM
Not familiar with the company (re: table). Maybe some of the readers will be able to help.

A rubber mallet is very useful iin taking apart old joinery. Heated white vinegar cuts most old glue very effectively, making the job easier.

For re-assembly, I'd use Elmer's Carpenters wood glue (the yellow stuff).

Be aware that glue doesn't adhere to glue - all the old glue must be removed before reassembly.

Old 09-25-02, 05:23 PM
Howdy,

I have a rubber mallet for this purpose and was thinking it should be okay for this very old piece, if I am careful. Maybe with the vinegar I can get it apart without any damage. Tx for that tip. Should I use a syringe to get i tin the joints? I would hate to damage the finish.

Tx

Old 09-26-02, 04:30 PM
A syringe would be best, but careful application and wiping up any overspills as they occur will protect the finish. Even though it is an acid, vinegar will take a while to harm even shellac or lacquer.

Old 10-02-02, 06:29 PM
I think this may be a scholl master's desk or some kind of libray or station masters desk. Any pics of these out there??

It seems to be in the Mission style, oak, no curves or fancy carvings. Slanted top with leather (?) inlaid with a space to the side for maybe books, etc.. It has one sliding drawer with planks underneath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: