read the posts still confused

Old 03-12-03, 11:33 PM
petequint
Visiting Guest
Question read the posts still confused

Alright everybody, I've read every single post about laquer and staining and I'm more confused than I was before. I'm thinking maybe if I'm really specific about what I'm trying to do someone will take the time to clear up my questions. Here goes...

First project is a fairly new pine bookshelf from Rooms to Go. The piece is light in color and is slightly darker in the grooves and knots and around the edges, clearly this has been done deliberately for character. It is finished in a satin finish, probably lacquer. I want the piece to look pretty much as it does now (satin finish uneven color) but I want it a dark mahogany color. Originally I was convinced I had to strip the piece then sand it then stain it and thenre-laquer it. After reading some posts I'm wondering if all I need to do is sand the gloss off the lacquer finish and apply the darker stain and then re-lacquer. This is glazing? I have to do the work indoors so I'm trying to find the less messy solution.

Second project is a pine table from the same store. The table is light and has a heavy shiny lacquer finish. I want to the finished look of the piece to be a dark wood table that was painted black and aged (black paint with dark wood and grain showing through and a natural looking finish) so I don't want to prime with white KILZ and then paint and I'm pretty sure KILZ doest come in black. Do I need to strip the table, then stain then paint then lacquer? Or can I sand it and glaze it dark and then paint and distress it? And how should I finish it to get a natural weathered look. Again I want the quickest way to a big change and I have to work indoors.

I would really appreciate any help with steps, products, etc.

Thanks.
Pete

Old 03-16-03, 05:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pete,
For starters, if you had bought unfinished pieces your staining/finishing would have been much easier. And unfinished is cheaper.

What you can try(test) is a polyurethane/stain combination to achieve the look you want. See if there is an ebony stain combo that might work on the table.

As info, Kilz is for stain blocking, primarily for walls and ceilings, and sometimes for furniture on bare wood to be painted. Your pieces have already been sealed with lacquer. No need to re-seal unless you strip the finish off completely.
Unless you have a compressor and sprayer I doubt you want to use lacquer for your finish. It is nearly impossible to brush on.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: