finishing

Old 04-29-03, 05:39 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
finishing

I've seen pictures on wood with what looks like a glass finish. I've also seen a product that boasts that one coat is equal to 50 coats of varnish. Is this the product that they use to do this or do you know what product they do actually use to do these pictures?
Thanks
Bill

Old 04-29-03, 05:48 PM
C
That is probably the acrylic resin that they pour over cypress to make clocks.

A smooth glass finish is usually from buffing and polishing the finish.

Old 05-02-03, 01:14 PM
Bob I'm not
Visiting Guest
Bartop type finishes often boast of being equal to massive Varnish build . they are extremely durable , but in my opinion , this type of finish wouldnt be appropriate for furniture ; unless the piece receives an unusual amount of use / abuse .

the high end mirror type finish you are refering to is produced by applying sealer / top coat ; then sanding ; another top coat or two ; wait several days , sand and recoat ; wait a week or so , sand and recoat ; and so on until the finish is perfectly leveled . ( this is usually done with Lacquer , but can be done with Varnish also ; but drying times are much longer with Varnish . ) at this point the finish is buffed . as you can see , this is quite labor intensive , but well worth the effort . but keep in mind that a finish at this sheen level will show scratches / scuffs VERY easily .

another technique is called French Polishing , which is a hand applied Shellac . very nice looking , but not as durable as Lacquer . French Polishing is almost an art form itself , probably not for the beginner .

an alternative is to use a wipe on varnish ; they build much slower than thicker brush on types of varnish , so more applications are necessary , but very little ( if any ) sanding is required between coats . and drying times between coats is faster , due to the decreased thickness of each application ( compared to brushing on a straight varnish ) .

of the 3 finish types ( varnish , lacquer , shellac ) I've mentioned , varnish is the most durable , if this is any help to you .

Old 05-07-03, 04:21 PM
L
i refinished two pool tables back to back using the "french polish"\
method and developed tennis elbow from all the circle 8's.

the french used children to do this finish way back when.
they didnt have the probs with their elbows because of their youth.

its a nice finish although most folks will drink around a pool table and alcohol is the thinner for shellac.

and they paid well for my tennis elbow.

Old 05-07-03, 08:26 PM
I
finishing

I found a product after which boasts that it will give me a good result. I haven't had time to try it but when i do i'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll think I'll pass on the french polish method, lol because our health care is in ruins. I think I'll be able to learn how to play tennis before i can even define tennis elbow.
Thanks
Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: