hardwood floor and tung oil?

Old 05-01-03, 05:12 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hardwood floor and tung oil?

george some help please.

sanded the floor up to 80 grit

started with the "pure tung oil" from vandykes.

three coats so far.

if i wipe the tung oil off after an hour or more it turns dull, second coat.

if i leave it on as i have for over 24 hours this last time (3rd coat) it is shiny still in areas and dull where it looks like it has absorbed.

would you say that since it was sanded to 80 only, that it will take more coats of tung oil to get it to a nice finish?

tks

Old 05-02-03, 09:54 AM
cweaver73
Visiting Guest
my experience with tung oil with pine floors

I used tung oil on wide pine flooring that I purchased from Carlisle Flooring out of New Hampshire. I followed their recomendation and did not sand the boards as the milling was great. I used a nice lambs-wool applicator. I put it on fairly think and as consistently as possible however I do have a couple of small spots where the oil pooled.

It took four coats to bring out the shine. Remember my project was with Pine . . you have hardwood . . so me experience may not translate.

Good Luck.

Old 05-11-03, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tung oil is not really a good finish for a hardwood floor. The oil is absorbing differntly across the floor. You probably should have atleast ended with 150 grit paper for a better looking floor.

According to Bob Flexner, it will take 5 or 6 coats, sanding betwwen each coat, to obtain a smooth finish. And remember, it may take 2 to four days for each coat to cure properly.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: