poly wipe

Old 05-08-03, 02:57 PM
tmahaffeyw
Visiting Guest
poly wipe

i used (watco wipe on poly) it is to dry in 4 hr s, been waiting 3 days it is still tackey to touch.
what next, tks t,m

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-03, 03:40 PM
Bob I'm not
Visiting Guest
that's strange . wipe on Poly should dry easily in the specified time frame . this problem is similar to the behavior of varnish when it is heavily applied by brush in the humid months of summer .
is the piece indoors ? or outside in the un-heated garage ?what are the air temps / humidity in your area ?

is the Poly fresh ? as in recently purchased ? or was it perhaps sitting around a little too long ?

is the wood virgin ? or are you refinishing the piece ?

was the finish spread out sufficiently with a rag ?

any stain get applied before the Poly ?

Old 05-08-03, 04:48 PM
tmahaffeyw
Visiting Guest
poly wipe

poly was wiped on with rag.
piece is in garage.
poly has been sitting around awhile.
how do i get it off & start over.
thanks t.m

Old 05-08-03, 07:36 PM
Bob I'm not
Visiting Guest
mineral spirits / 3M pad .

and lots of it

Old 05-09-03, 01:54 PM
tmahaffeyw
Visiting Guest
poly wipe

what if i wait until it's dry to the touch, will that be o.k to leave
it along. tks t.m

Old 05-09-03, 02:23 PM
Bob I'm not
Visiting Guest
thats what I was getting at earlier . there's a reason it's taking so long to cure ; most likely related to one of the questions I threw out .

IF the finish cures , I would leave it be as is . but it is possible that the seemingly cured finish isnt as right as it's supposed to be ; depends on why it took so long to cure in the first place . you didnt answer about the air temp / humidity or whether you are refinishing the piece . these are 2 very important variables . if the piece has been subjected to cool and / or very humid conditions , this could be causing the slow cure . in this case , waiting may be your best option . if the piece has been stripped , thats a whole different can of worms . or if the product has been sitting around too long and gone bad ; another bad scenario . incompatible stain could cause a similar problem also .

what I'm getting at is this...........it's hard to say WHAT will happen without knowing WHY the problem occurred . but heres a clue : if temp/humidity is o.k.(the container will show you whats preferred), and the finish hasnt cured by now , the problem lies in one of the other categories ; and it MOST LIKELY will not last as long as you would like even if it does eventually cure .

Old 05-10-03, 12:00 AM
tmahaffeyw
Visiting Guest
poly wipe

thanks for all the info. i think i will wait awhile. thanks t.m