opening the paint stripper

Old 06-01-03, 09:44 AM
Unhappy opening the paint stripper

Good Morning - I wasn't sure where to post this question, but this seems like the best place. I'm about to start a refinishing project and I can't get the cover off the paint stripper. I'm following the directions to push down on the plastic ring around the metal cap before trying to open it, but the plastic just won't grip the metal. I've tried using clamps, a rubber jar opener, and lots of elbow grease but all I've done is scrape my knuckles a few times. Any suggestions? I don't have any children in the house - is it safe to remove the plastic ring and try to open it without it?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 02:16 PM
Paint stripper

I've had that problem. Remove the ring and open the can. It's those kid proof pill bottles. Adults can't open them, but kids can.

Old 06-23-12, 04:57 PM
Trick of the Trade

My husband and I literally spent 2 days trying to open ours! Then finally we just ignored the instructions and popped the plastic top off! Then it was an sturdy twist of the wrist to unscrew the metal cap below and voila! Just store securely away from animals and kids... Hope this saves you days of frustration!!!

Old 06-23-12, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums danter2010!

A lot of us remove the plastic from the metal caps - I'm too old to fiddle fart around trying to open a can when popping off the plastic with a putty knife allows me turn the metal cap with no fuss

Obviously these types of cans need to be kept out of the reach of children...... hadn't run across any animals that were adept at removing the caps