?'s re : coffee table tops

Old 06-25-03, 11:42 AM
GREEKMEDUSA
Visiting Guest
Unhappy ?'s re : coffee table tops

can someone help?

I painted a picture on a a thin cloth that I wanted to apply to a top of a table. I need a thick type of clear varnish or a finish that can be applied to wood and the picture with out streaking or bubbling .
any suggestions on what to use ?

Please help
thanks

Old 06-25-03, 03:39 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of cloth and what kind of paints did you use?

Old 07-06-03, 02:26 PM
shey1113
Visiting Guest
You should be able to use clear-drying glue to attach the cloth to the table, then several coats of polyurethane. You may be able to use liquid plastic coating - that thick clear coating you often see on restaurant tables - depending on how the table is shaped. You usually just pour it on, and should be available at your hardware store.
Make sure the glue and clearcoat won't mess up the painting - if it's acrylic paint, it should be fine.

Old 07-07-03, 10:49 AM
GREEKMEDUSA
Visiting Guest
I actually painted on the cloth with oil paints -
I wanted to have a very thick ,clear, high gloss finish.
The cloth is a sheet like material.
If i use polyurethane - I would need probably about 5 coats of it .
The liquid plastic - Does that have a high gloss finish - and would it work on a flat square coffee table ? thanks for all your input on this

Old 07-07-03, 01:58 PM
DeAnna
Visiting Guest
table top

I have used a two part mix called envirotex lite. It can be found in hobby shops. It dries to a glass like finish and can be as thick as you want. There has to be an edge to the table or you can let it spill over and sand the bottom edge after it dries. When you pour it on it self levels after it is spred on. Then use a blow torch to remove any bubbles.

Old 07-07-03, 03:12 PM
GREEKMEDUSA
Visiting Guest
Talking

I was reading up on the envirotex lite and sounds like what I am looking for but have discovered that it eats away oils. Would it work if I put one coat of polyurethane over the picture -let it completely dry - then try the envirotex over it ?
thanks for all your help guys !

Old 07-08-03, 11:37 AM
DeAnna
Visiting Guest
envirotex

there is a number to call and ask. I have found Charity very helpful. 800)368-9323 I would try it on a test piece to see what happens. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: