Restain an old piece?

Old 09-11-03, 08:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restain an old piece?

I have a chest that my parents bought about 20 years ago from a local carpenter. It may have been sealed, but it doesn't feel like it, or look like it. The stain has gotten washed out, the surface a little scratched and it just looks worn. Not in an antique way, just worn. Would it be advisable to sand (also to remove/lessen the scratches) and restain, or is there another process I should try to bring this thing back to life? It was a walnut colored stain to begin with, IIRC, can I go to a darker, Dark Cherry without making it look like some kind of Frankenstein chest?

Thanks

Old 09-15-03, 09:51 PM
C
You might strip the finish and stain it the way you like, then finish it. Trying to toy with the stain and finish with a partially finished piece is capricious because of the aged wood, aged finish and stain that remain unless you remove it all.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-03, 02:15 PM
I don't think it has anything but a light stain on it. I'll try sanding it a bit, maybe that'll help me be more certain. Certainly doesn't seem like it ever has. It's not a major piece of furniture, so even if it doesn't come out right it isn't a crime. Would be nice to see it liven up a little though. I'll give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: