Stripper not working!!

Old 09-30-03, 09:37 AM
ernmeg
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Stripper not working!!

My husband and I are trying to refinish a table (I think it might be Oak) because we want to stain it a darker color. We were told that the best way to start this process is to strip it. We got two different types of stripper; one that was really weak and one that was described by the guy at Home Depot as the strongest one they can sell.

We applied the stripper to the top of the table, but it didn't seem to do much. Here's a pic of the result

We applied literally 8 coats of stripper to that side. Some we let sit up to an hour, others a much shorter amount of time. In any case, it never bubbled or anything. It didn't seem to have much affect on the surface at all.

Is this normal? My understanding was that stripper was pretty powerful and it would cause the surface to bubble and then everything could be easily removed.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-30-03, 10:30 AM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
I do a lot of refinishing and I've always used "Zipstrip Marine". Never had a problem.

Old 10-01-03, 01:30 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Did the stripper contain methylene chloride?
That is about the most powerfull stripper you can get. It needs to stay wet to work, so covere the area with aluminum foil. There are some catalyzed varnishes that can resist even methylene chloride, and the only way to remove them is sanding.

Old 10-01-03, 06:46 PM
Jayhawk
Visiting Guest
I agree...methylene chloride is what "Zip Strip" is all about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: