Peeling side of vanity

Old 10-15-03, 08:49 AM
redbug119
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Peeling side of vanity

I just got new vanities about 3 months ago, and when painting, masked the trim, including the side of the vanity with blue painters tape. I taped on Saturday, painted Sunday and removed the tape on Tuesday. In doing so, some of the "finish" on the side of cabinet peeled off. I was really surprised, as I had "assumed" the whole cabinet was solid wood, but was apparently was some sort of cardboard/paper/film finish. People are telling me to call the installer and complain, but I have granite countertops and don't want to take it apart and risk damaging the tops. It took too long to get the guy to finish the job in the first place! My question is, what can/should I use to touch up the area. It's in a fairly inconspicuous place, but would like to make it look as best I can. the area is about 6 sq inches.

Old 10-15-03, 09:59 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If this is the painted area, retouch it with the paint. If this is the 'film', the vendor of the cabinets might be able to help you.

Don't leave tape on any longer than necessary. For example, tape at 9:00, paint at 9:05, remove tape when finished.

Old 10-15-03, 11:08 AM
redbug119
Visiting Guest
peeling vanity

It's the vanity that peeled. I knew leaving tape on walls too long was a no-no, but never thought it would peel my "wood" (ha-ha) cabinet. If I can't get any ideas from the manufacturer, do you have any suggestions to patch/touch up the area?

Old 10-15-03, 05:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tell us what it is supposed to look like and we will try.

Old 10-16-03, 06:17 AM
redbug119
Visiting Guest
Vanity peeling

The cabinet is cherry with a natural finish. The sides (where the peeling occured) are a woodgrain, maybe like a light to medium oak appearance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: