sanding chair legs

Old 11-17-03, 12:51 PM
DeAnna
Visiting Guest
Angry sanding chair legs

I'm refinishing some oak chairs. the legs are spindle legs. My question is, how can you get the dark in the rungs out? After sanding the legs, there are always dark rings where the legs have been turned. I have tried mouse sanders, files, wet dry sand paper, everything I can think of. I was wondering if maybe there is a special sander or tool that people use, professional refinishers must have a better way to get these dark stains out. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-19-03, 08:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cut a strip of sandpaper 1/4" wide and fold it lengthwise and use this to get down into the crevasses. I recall an abrasive string, but I cannot find any.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-03, 10:31 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Mitchelle has sanding rolls and cord http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcate...lse&specs=True

Old 11-26-03, 08:33 AM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
I would use a semi paste stripper such as Zip-Strip.Put it on thick.
Let the stripper do it's job.How long it will take depends on the build up.I would let the stripper sit for at lease 15 minutes.Use a small STIFF plastic brush to remove the finish.If it doesn't remove the finish,apply more stripper.You will need to repeat a few times before you remove all of the finish.Just be patient.Some somes I will use dental picks.After all the old finish is removed,then you can use folded sand paper to finish up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: