tung oil finish

Old 11-20-03, 08:43 AM
bbscott
Visiting Guest
tung oil finish

I am a scroll sawer who makes alot of inside intricate small cuts in projects. My question is when I soak the project in tung oil, & let it dry the inside cuts look like they haven't taken any oil at all compared to the flat outside surface of the project. Should I soak it longer or give it more coats. Also to attain shine, alot of times it is not possible to use a soft cloth because of the intricate inside cuts that could snag on the cloth. Any suggestions on that dilema.

Thanxs for your help

BBscott

Old 11-20-03, 10:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The cut surface would not be as smooth as the flat of the wood, so it would not look as smooth.

Tung oil builds through repeated coats over many days. Heavy coats tend not to dry and necessitate removal. Tung oil is a wipe on - wipe off product. Letting a layer of oil simply dry can produce a skinning over effect which prevents the material beneath the skin from drying. The excess should be wiped off.

Wipe on - wipe off, the sheen comes as the coats build.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-03, 12:34 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The wood grain in the cuts is going to have a lot of end grain. Any finish will soak into it a lot more than the flat grain of the face. You will probably have a thick build on the face before you can get the cuts to look the same unless you can wipe almost everything off the face while leaving it on the cut edges. Even a squegee might work to keep the face build down.

Old 11-26-03, 11:10 AM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
Consider spraying with shellac or lacquer.I would apply the sealer by brush first.

Old 11-27-03, 08:08 AM
bbscott
Visiting Guest
tung oil

thank you all for your help. I will try the wood sealer & then the tung oil. Will tung oil adhere to varnish, lacquer, or other finishes?

Old 11-27-03, 08:42 AM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
I miss informed you in my last post.What I meant to say was to first apply your sealer or varnish or lacquer by brush to your edges or end grains first.Wipe off any excess from your surfaces.It may take several coats.Then spray your surfaces.Lightly sand and use a tack cloth between coats.The last coat shouldn't require any sanding.Tung Oil will not be needed.Tung Oil is usually applied on unfinished wood.I have never heard of using it over a finish.Any way...Why would you want to...What purpose would it serve?

Old 12-01-03, 10:25 PM
Furniture Bldr
Visiting Guest
tung oil is nice, but it takes too many coats before its fully finished

Last edited by Furniture Bldr; 12-01-03 at 10:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: