Mold/Mildew in finished wood

Old 12-04-03, 11:29 AM
GadgetLady
Visiting Guest
Mold/Mildew in finished wood

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how I go about removing mold/mildew that has formed on my diningroom table and chairs? The furniture was moved into my unventilated FL room and has a bad case of the fuzzies.

I would prefer not to have to refinish if I can. The table is very old, but solid wood, not veneered. Windsor Chairs are maple I believe and the finish was in good condition.

Thanks,

Old 12-04-03, 12:49 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
What kind of finish is on the furniture? If lacquer or varnish you can wipe it down with denatured alcohol. If the finish is shellac the alcohol will soften and remove the finish, and water will blush it white. Test under the edge of the table and the bottom of an arm on chairs.

Old 12-04-03, 07:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could also wipe it down with mineral spirits. It won't harm the finish and leaves no residue when it evaporates.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-03, 09:57 AM
GadgetLady
Visiting Guest
Chair / Table finishes

The Chairs are newer, I believe them to be laquered, the table is very old, but I know my uncle who was an antiques dealer most likely had refinised it at one time. It does not have a shiny finish, I believer it to be varnish. Neither are shellaced.

So, would Denatured alcohol work on both pieces? I will try a test area first.

The table needs some work, seems its losened up underneath when they tried to get it thru the doorway to the other room. Whats the best way to tighten up the mechanism? It is a diningroom table that holds up to 4 leafs.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 12-06-03, 11:06 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whats the best way to tighten up the mechanism
Look under the table for the fasteners holding the legs. Tightening should be straightforward.

If he was an antiques dealer, he likely would not have had it refinished if it had any value. Refinishing old pieces destroys their value.

Old 12-08-03, 01:02 PM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
Mold & Mildue

To be safe...I would also use paint thinner. Use clean cloths,and change cloths often.

The following is a formular that I use when all else fails.

Removing Mildew, mold and odor from wood.

Wash the wood one or more times with a solution of

2/3 cup of trisodium phosphate

1/3 cup of detergent

1 quart of house hold bleach

Enough water to make a gallon

Caution; Wear rubber gloves.

If the odor is still present,

seal ( EVERYTHING ) with shellac.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: