oil damage to table

Old 01-31-04, 03:51 PM
karolyn
Visiting Guest
oil damage to table

I have a wood table (I think it is pine) that appears to have had something oily on the top. It was mostly covered by paint but there were some areas with no paint and the wood appears to be saturated. I think it is cooking oil??? (found this table on the side of the road). I would like to keep the it, but is there any finish that I can use to protect the top. I don't mind the oil stain.
Thanks for any help!

Old 01-31-04, 07:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your best bet may be to strip the table and start with your own desired finish.

Old 02-01-04, 01:38 PM
karolyn
Visiting Guest
I have used a chemical stripper to remove the paint, but the wood itself is still oily to the touch. Will polyurethane stick to the wood even though it is so oily? What about Tung oil?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-04, 06:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe you could do as with teak. With the top stripped and clean, wipe it with some lacquer thinner to knock the oil off the surface and as soon as it dries, like a minute or so, apply the first coat of the finish and let it dry. After the drying time per the label, check to see if the finish appears to be stable and appears uniform over the entire surface.

Use an alkyd finish.

What you are trying to do is to apply the finish before the oil starts to rise to the surface again. If it will bond, you should be able to continue with the rest of the finishing.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-04, 10:10 AM
karolyn
Visiting Guest
Thank you.... I will give it a try and let you know if it works!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: