Satin Polyurethane

Old 02-03-04, 03:46 PM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Satin Polyurethane

I am refinishing a maple bannister, it's been stained and currently has one coat of poly on it. I have not sanded it yet. I m concerned because the finish is glossy, the satin poly looks like a semi gloss. Is this common? Will this change once I sand and apply a second coat, or is there something I missed in work surface prep?

Old 02-03-04, 07:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After a light sanding with 150 or 200, pour your poly, after a good stir, into a shallow container (get it out of the deep can).
This way the brush gets to the bottom where the small particles are. The flattening agents(ground silica) can settle in just a few minutes.
Personally, I like to thin with mineral spirits - about 25%.
Brush strokes and air bubbles are lessened after thinning.

fred

Old 02-12-04, 06:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fewalt has a good idea.

Pure polyurethane is high gloss. Solids (silica) are added to "dull it down" to semi-gloss or satin. If the solids are on the bottom of the can, you're only using the pure poly.

When I brush poly, I stir it (never shake it), pour some into a paint cup, and give that an occasional stir while I'm using it.

If you need to thin it, use mineral spirits for oil based poly or water if it's water based. I find that oil based poly will give a slight amber tint when it dries. The water based poly stays clear.

Two coats with a light sanding between them should be plenty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: