Furniture refinishing

Old 02-05-04, 07:41 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furniture refinishing

Hi all,

I just got asked a question by a friend. He is planning on refinishing some tables at a restaraunt that are covered in laminate. His question is, can the old laminate be removed by ironing it? Bear in mind that the laminate was put on with contact cement. If he can't can he relaminate over the existing laminate using contact cement. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
F.O.G.

Old 02-16-04, 06:29 PM
C
A controlled iron or a heat gun or potent hair dryer will soften the glue so that the laminate can be peeled off.

Old 02-18-04, 11:54 AM
D
I learned a trick yesterday for applying veneer or formica with contact cement. First the surface has to be clean and smooth. No dirt or lumps from old glue. This will be your hardest task. Getting the old glue off may require a stripper.

Applying the laminate is tricky as you don't get a second chance once it sticks. The trick is, after the glue has dryed on the main surface, lay down sheets of wax paper on the glued surface covering eveything but your start position. Lay the laminate and remove a section of the wax paper one at a time from the start point to the end while massaging the laminate as you go.

This worked great for me and I had to do it vertically not on flat table.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: