refinishing chairs - QRB?

Old 02-08-04, 11:34 AM
jen5983
Visiting Guest
Question refinishing chairs - QRB?

I received an older table and chairs from a relative. They are not antique in any way, but they are solid wood. They are comfortable and have decent lines. They are in a finish I do not really like, and they have what I call "freckles" in the finish - I think this was popular in the 70s. Anyway, I would like to have the finish be a darker color - maybe a mahogany or cherry appearance.

I know this may sound lazy, but I just want them to look decent. I will take the time to do them well, but I do not need to restore these as if they were antique. I forsee me giving them away in about 5-7 years.

I would like a good way to fairly easily strip these that won't raise the wood grain and best way to go about darkening the color and the final protective coating.

I have an seen a TV show on QRB refinnishing materials. I was curious as to if anyone has ever used this, or for whatever reason would not recommend I do so. Or, could I have the chairs "dipped/dunked" with stripper if I will be staining them a darker color? I heard this might be a possible choice.

Thank for any help you can provide. Thanks!

Old 02-08-04, 09:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dipping chairs can cause problems with the glue joints. If the stripper dips and then hoses them with stripper, the joints do not get so much abuse.

Chairs are not so difficult to strip by hand. There is simply a lot of small surface area to strip. Follow tht instructions on the can of stripper. Semi-paste stripper is somewhat easier to use. It is less prone to run.

After stripping and cleaning, apply the stain to your satisfaction. Then apply a clear finish such as polyurethane or lacquer.

Here is some more information.

http://doityourself.com/woodfinish/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-04, 06:50 PM
jen5983
Visiting Guest
Thank for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: