Removing stain & finish from entertainment center

Old 02-21-04, 07:07 PM
red_amphitrite
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Removing stain & finish from entertainment center

I have an oak entertainment center that has what appears to be a white finish on it (stained finish, not paint). It takes multiple passes and hours upon end to partially remove the stain with a sander - and it barely touches the stain (even with 80 grit sandpaper). I have put 3 coats of stain & varnish stripper on and it doesn't touch the unsanded areas at all, it doesn't seem to remove any of the stain even where I have sanded previously. I would like to put a darker oak stain on this. I tried to put the stain ontop of the partially sanded area and it turned a pink color (even with a very dark stain). Do you have any advice? Steel wool/different brands of stripper/rougher grit/a miracle?
I could use all the advise I could get.

Old 02-22-04, 07:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you using a chemical stipper such as kleen kut or stripeeze?

Old 02-22-04, 11:39 AM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
Make sure the temperture of your piece,along with the work area and especially your stripper is 70 degrees.Use a simi paste stripper like zip-strip or strip ez.Test a small area first.Lay the stripper on heavy.Leave it on long enough for the stripper to work.Keep testing to determine if its ready to be removed.Usually 10 to 20 minutes is long enough.Appy more stripper if needed.You have to wait long enough to let the stripper do its job.You may need to strip the piece several times,depending on the finish.If the finish then comes off clean,you can continue to an other area.If the piece doesn't come off clean,or there is still more finish in the grain,you will need to apply more stripper and use steel wool to remove the remainder of the finish.After the piece is all stripped,wash it down with paint thinner.If the piece looks uniform,your done...If not...Restrip it... You may have to apply a colored finish to get the results you need or if all else fails..... paint it... Personally...If a customer brought me a colored piece of furniture,and told me he wanted me to refinish it to look like something else,I would not take the job...Experience has taught me that many times it doesn't come out right...If you were building a piece of furniture and you were going to paint it or stain it white,would you choose quality wood???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: