How to remove mold from wood?

Old 02-23-04, 10:32 PM
miketegra
Visiting Guest
How to remove mold from wood?

What is the best way to remove mold from unfinished wood?
I have mold growing on the back of some old drawers built into the wall of a concete block basement. I have addressed the moisture issue that started the problem, but the old drawers smell very mildewy and have visible black and white mold growing on them. Bleach? Consan fungicide? h2o2? Sanding?
Eh?

Also, to prevent the mold from coming back (in addition to my moisture prevention) are there any paints or stains the are good for protecting the wood from future mold attack?

Mike

Old 02-24-04, 06:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could clean them with a solution of bleach 25% in water. This will kill the mildew and mold, and enable you to remove it with some soap and water. Some discoloration may remain in the wood. The solution is caustic, be careful with it.

Good protection for the future would include a good coat of primer and paint or perhaps polyurethane. The mold and mildew grow because of the presence of suffucient moisture.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-04, 12:00 PM
phantom1874
Visiting Guest
Wash the wood one or more times with a solution of

2/3 cup of trisodium phosphate

1/3 cup of detergent

1 quart of house hold bleach

Enough water to make a gallon

Caution; Wear rubber glove

Old 03-05-04, 05:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
After you get rid of the mold/mildew, would there be any way to get some air circulation behind the drawers?

Even a little circulation will go a long way toward reducing mold/mildew problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: