how do I strip polyhurethane from cabinets

Old 02-25-04, 06:35 PM
Paolo
Visiting Guest
how do I strip polyhurethane from cabinets

My kitchen cabinets were installed about five years ago,they are a natural oak color with polyurethane. I want to strip the poly off of the cabinets and stain the wood a nice cherry color. How do I go by doing this? I would also like to know if will it be acceptable to apply polyuretane with a brush after I am done staining it.
Thank you for your advice,
Lina

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you try applying a paint removing solution? I would try it out on a small hidden area and see how it reacts. You will then have to sand it out with at least 120 grit sandpaper so as to remove all debris. Note that paint remover removes one layer at a time. I never tried it out myself so itís better if you take a second opinion.

Concerning staining, I usually stain using a cloth and then apply polyurethane varnish using a pure bristle brush. First apply in the direction of the grain, then by holding the brush almost vertically wipe excess varnish across the grain. Others do it the other way round, first across the grain and wipe in the direction of the grain. Personally I didn't notice too much difference between the two methods.

RA

Last edited by r_abela; 03-10-04 at 01:57 AM.